Husbands, likewise, dwell with them with understanding, giving honor to the wife, as to the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers may not be hindered. 1 Peter 3:17
The other day I came across 10 questions that I had ask my wife to answer for me about 8 years ago to help me understand her better. According to this verse if we can learn to understand each other we get to partake in the second part and become “heirs together of the grace of life.” In simple terms, this just means that we can expect God’s grace to rest upon our lives and marriage. I don’t know how it is for you, but the more of God’s grace I get to tap into the better!
(2) Is there anything I can do that would give you the confidence that I respect you and the desires of your heart?
(3) Is there anything I need to do that would cause you to feel more secure?
(4) Is there anything I can do that would indicate that I hear and understand your heart?
(5) Is there anything further I need to do to cause you to have an even greater confidence regarding our future direction?
(6) Is there any attribute you would like for me to develop or strengthen?
(7) Is there any attribute you would like me to help YOU develop in yourself, even if it’s only by praying for you?
(8) What achievement in my life would bring you the greatest joy?
(9) What can I do to indicate to you my desire to be more like Jesus?
(10) What mutual goal, or goals would you like to see us accomplish together?
May I suggest that you share these questions with your spouse and see how you can understand each other better? It may just result in you both becoming, “the heirs together of the grace of life.” May God help you take your marriage and your life to a whole new level!