Friday, September 9, 2011

How Bad Do You Want It?


“For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, where he has enough to finish it?” Luke 14:28

Can I be honest with you? I didn’t feel like writing today’s devotional. It’s been a long and busy day and I feel like going to get some dinner and then go home and watch the opening season game of the NFL. But I don’t have that option right now because before I go I need to get this done. Ever been in a similar situation? If and when you do, you’ve got to ask yourself the question, “how bad do I want to succeed, how bad do I want to fulfill God’s will and God’s purpose in my life?” You know Jesus wasn’t just talking here about a building here; He was talking about counting the cost of building a life of significance.

It seems like too many of us aren’t willing to admit that the reason that we didn’t make the team, get that promotion, and the reason that we aren’t moving forward in life is that we aren’t willing to put forth the effort and do the hard stuff. It means that there are times when everyone else has gone home that we’re willing to stay after hours and get our work done. Come on now, isn’t it time for us to start counting the cost! How hard are you willing to work at life? Here’s something to consider—No one is going to work harder for your success than you are. Not your boss, not your peers, and certainly not those who work for it. It reminds me of an old saying, “If it’s going to be, than it’s up to me.” Now I’m not discounting God in all of this, but really, do we think God’s going to work harder at our success than we are? Do you think He’s standing by up there in heaven waiting to come down here and help you out because you’re a little tired? He’s the Redeemer of the lost, not the Rescuer of the lazy. Come on now; let’s count the cost!

If we’re going to ever fulfill God’s will for our lives than we need to count the cost. Have you figured out yet that living for Jesus is going to cost you something? And if you’re going to be a success in life that it’s going to cost you even more? Jim Morin, a dear member of our church family once said, “Everything that I value in my life, has cost me something.” It reminds me of that verse in Galatians 6:7, “Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.” In other words, whatever we put into life will cost us something, but there is a payback, a reaping based on the degree of our efforts.

My wife Beth, is by far, the hardest working person that I have ever known, and I’ve know a lot of people. There may be people out there that want to enjoy the benefits that Beth enjoys, but they don’t have a clue of how hard she has worked, over so many years. Literally, it’s quite common for her to work 16-18 hour days for weeks and months on end. Now that costs something, but the benefit is a very successful and fruitful life. She recently purchased a pretty expensive anniversary gift for yours truly, and she bought it with cash. You see, she’s reaping today because she was willing to count the cost and do the hard stuff, even when she didn’t feel like it.

So today, let’s tap into all that God has for us and work a little harder, stay a little latter, carry a little more of the load, and honor Jesus Christ by our work ethic, and our willingness to do the hard things.

No comments:

Post a Comment