Friday, January 28, 2011

Be Still


"...meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still." Psalm 4:4

How are you doing? Really, how are you? I know that when people ask us that question we usually give a short and pretty shallow answer like, “Oh I’m good, how are you?” Lately I’ve caught myself answering too many times with, “busy.” That is so wrong on so many levels! I can’t stand the idea of describing my life like that. But, doesn’t it seem like our lives are often filled with too much activity, and at times, too much noise? Because if the truth be known, the ultimate danger zone is when we’ve got too much going on, mixed with too much noise, leaving no room for God.

The Bible teaches us that there are many voices in the world and none without significance. We have a lot of voices saying a lot of different things; but the most important voice to hear is God’s. So, we need to make sure that we do whatever it takes to slow down and listen. That’s why I love this verse, because it paints a great picture of the importance of finding those moments where we can quiet down and hear from God.

Psalm 46:10 says something similar, “Be still, and know that I am God….” Did you know that God is always speaking to us? The problem is that we’re either too busy, or we have too much noise going on to be able to hear from Him. So, here is what I propose we do, let’s carve out a little time just to get quiet – I mean really quiet – don’t talk, don’t listen to music, cut out all background noise and just get with God, and listen. Grab your Bible and read it, pray a little, worship a little – but most of all, stay still and see what God says to your heart. I’d love to hear what God tells you, so please send me a note.

No comments:

Post a Comment